Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Less ambitious goals

So, the purpose of starting to write a running diary was just to get down in writing some of the experiences, feelings and opinions about the highs and lows of trying to train for and complete the Gobi Challenge in late July this year. After a lengthy initial post I took weeks to get round to a second post. It seems like I was just overawed by the idea of trying to get up to speed on "how I got to this point" - a big task. I've decided that's not all that important at this point. I can fill in some backstory later. This blog is really just for me to keep an online diary of my running training, particularly as it's such an individual thing.

So, this Saturday I'm doing the Whiskey Row marathon in Prescott. It's going to be tough. Even though I've done 2 marathon-or-more races this year, a marathon starting at nearly 6000ft and rising for all of the first 10 miles is still a bit intimidating. I did the 1/2 marathon last year and actually really enjoyed it, but 26 miles seems just that much more hardcore. I know I'll get round though. I've done this distance before.

In between the last post and now I've had 2 races - the Warrior Dash (an obstacle course in the glorious Florence, AZ - move over Florence, Italy, you've got a cultural rival) and the Race for Hope for all Cancers 5K, organized by the AZ myeloma association. I had the joys of crossing the line first both times, which is pretty cool. The 5k would have been a big PB but it was a bit of a long course. The race was so much fun though. As someone with limited real "race" experience, I loved it. I wasn't paying attention at the start and let a couple of guys get 50 yards ahead. Then I spent the next 2 miles reeling the leader in and managed to get up alongside and then out in front on the last mile. We were together for a while and I managed to put in a burst of speed and lose him, but even at the end there was only maybe 10 seconds between us. Pretty cool. I tried that plan at a 5k a year or so ago (the burst of speed thing) and the guy I was running next to just looked at me like I'd taken a dump in his new trainers and then shot off into the distance. The burst of speed thing really only works if the other guy is already hurting. If he's letting you "jointly lead" just for the banter it really does nothing good. Lesson learned last year.

Today I had a track session - 16 x 400m at a fairly leisurely pace for 400m so it wasn't too bad. I do have the marathon in 4 days though so probably for the best. Thoughts now turn to how to tackle a marathon with so many hills. The garmin might not be helping me that much during this race. It'll be done on feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment