Thursday, July 7, 2011

Backpacks

So, this week I had my first couple of runs with my new backpack and frontpack combo. I've not really run much with a pack on before but I've done plenty of hiking with heavy packs so I'm sure I'll be okay. One thing I'll say is having a pack on both the front and the back in the desert heat does absolutely nothing to keep a man cool.

The packs are actually even better than I thought they would be. Fantastically light, comfortable straps, they fit together well. I've not quite worked out the best way to carry my water yet, but that's the only major thing to worry about at this point. Camelback in the front definitely doesn't work. The weight, and water, was sloshing around all over the place. I tried the camelback in the back and it works ok but doesn't exactly lend itself to quick turnarounds. That might leave a regular water bottle in the front. I'll be trying that at the weekend.

Running this week was tough when every day peaked at 105 or more - that's about 42 C or something like that. Sunday I started running at 5:30am and even then it was baking hot by the end. This has to be over and above anything I'll face in the Gobi. Doesn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment