Thursday, July 21, 2011

Final prep

I'm leaving to go to the Gobi tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about it all, mostly the journey at this point to be honest. I've got 5 flights just to get there so by the time I'm there I'm going to be absolutely knackered. I'll be very relieved if I can make it through all that without missing any flights, losing baggage etc.

I think I'm prepared physically. I've put in more miles than I ever have before. Probably around 50 to 60 a week including plenty of runs in the desert heat, plenty of long runs on back to back days, plenty of runs on mountain trails with a backpack. I just hope my body holds out fine with 6 days of continuous abuse.

I went for an ECG last week. That was an interesting process. I was hooked up to around 10 electrodes and the nurse pressed the big ON button and then ... we were done. I didn't know what I was expecting but somehow thought either I'd feel a bit of a shock, or it would at least take a while or something. 5 seconds to do it, even less to interpret the data. You're normal. Thanks and goodbye. At least that means I can race.

Saying goodbye to my lady wife is going to be the hardest thing. I'm gone for over 2 weeks. I'll have no email access for over a week of that. I can't honestly say I'm not nervous about it myself. It'll be alright though, when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment